Welcome music lovers to this week’s Rising Artist spotlight!
Today we feature the hard rock stylings of UK upstarts Splitworms. Splitworms are one of the latest UK indie bands to catch my attention, which is not entirely surprising since I spend so much time scouring England for new and exciting bands. In my humble opinion they have a similar vibe to Anthrax (John Bush years) and Clutch. Just raw, unadulterated hard rock music that you just can’t help playing at full volume. Their sound is loud, aggressive and straight to the point. You won’t find any fillers here, just pure guitar, drums, vocals and bass. I recently had the chance to chat with Splitworms about how they got started and how their careers are going so far. Be sure to check them out on your preferred music streaming platform.
How did you all get started in music and what brought you together for this particular project?
- Music came on early as an obsession for each of us. Absorbing as much music as possible and honing our chosen instruments, such is the way. Each of us cut our teeth in various bands along the way. With Splitworms we wanted to push the three piece format as much as possible to cover the greatest range of emotions possible. To have simplicity, poignancy and melody come up against complexity and dissonance and all combinations in between.
What do you consider your most accomplished moment in music so far?
- Our debut EP …And We All Fall Down. We feel it contains 4 uncompromising tracks each different from the other. But all of them are connected by their intensity and unfussy and direct delivery. We are also pleased that we managed to capture some humor within the subject matter and we also think it sounds pretty huge!
If you had the ability to make one of your musical goals come true immediately what would you choose?
- An appearance on Later…with Jools Holland
What do you think is more important? Well produced music or great live shows?
- We can’t imagine a world without both and without either we would be distraught. Recorded music for the expression and the art and live shows for the visceral thrill and connection.
What would you be doing right now, if it wasn’t for your music career?
- Being sad.
Check out Splitworm’s music video for Nothing is under control here
What is one message you would give to your fans?
- Don’t forget to find the humor in things.
What inspires you as an artist?
- The limitless nature of creativity.
If you could change anything about the industry, what would it be?
- Better deals for musicians and maintaining the creative arts as a legitimate vocation.
Are you currently working on any new music?
- Very much so! We have some exciting new ideas kicking around we are currently trying to distill into finished pieces when we can in between our gigging schedule.
What are your plans for the future?
- To capture even more facets of the band’s chemistry and finish up the current batch of songs and to get back in the studio to record a follow up to …”And We All Fall Down.” Also, we’d like to get out and play some festivals next year and possibly play the USA and outside the UK.
Splitworms is Barry Straight (guitar/vocals), Charles Lake (bass), and Jon Moore (drums).