Off the heels of her latest release “Play With It”, featuring Tiktok celebrity Charlie Curtis-Beard, Vietnamese-American lo-fi artist Dolly Ave is one name you need to have on your radar. The single was released at the end of June to further critical acclaim (that stemming from her debut album, Sleep, released back in May of this year), resulting in over 683k streams for her discography thus far on Spotify alone.
In just a short amount of time, Dolly Ave has rocketed to a household name in the lo-fi pop arena.
Did we mention that Dolly Ave is also a renowned live music photographer, working with artists like Kendrick Lamar, Chance the Rapper and Migos? With so much going on, Top Shelf Music wanted to explore more about this special rising star, because, to be honest, who wouldn’t?! We asked Dolly Ave her feels of the industry, about her smash debut, on her photography adventures and what could be next. Here is what she revealed.
Congrats on your debut album! How does it feel to be emerging into the recording industry?
- DA: Thank you so much! It feels fulfilling honestly. Music takes a lot of discipline and faith to keep working and going, so to see progress is always comforting.
Out of the two features on ‘Sleep’, who were you most excited to work with?
- I was excited to work with both features for different reasons. Tim Atlas was a special case, because I came across him on the Internet about eight years prior and our paths continued to cross even as I was a photographer.
How fun was it making the video to “Play With It” with Charlie Curtis-Beard?
- I had so much fun making the video. Nothing beats getting extremely creative, with a team that matches the energy. Building the sets were a lot of fun and an incredible experience to see it all come together.
You’re also an award-winning music photographer?! How does it feel to be in front of the camera now instead of behind it?
- It’s quite odd still for me. I struggled with sharing my story instead of being behind the camera, which takes a bit of getting used to. It’s more vulnerable to be seen.
So, what’s next for Dolly Ave?
- There is a lot next! I’ll be on tour very soon and I am currently working on my next album. I’m so excited for this chapter!
Purchase or stream ‘Sleep’ album:
Dolly Ave – “Play With It”, feat. Charlie Curtis-Beard
Cover & thumbnail photo by Sam Li